We say granola and you say…? Breakfast? Yoghurt?
We say Popcorn and you say…? Snacking? Cinema?
Well we say…Flapjacks!
It’s semi final week now in the Great British Bake Off tent and this means the usuals and the norms just won’t cut it. The contestants are going to have to start thinking artistically & really pushing themselves past those baking boundaries if they want to win a coveted finale slot.
In line with such innovative baking & building upon Portlebay’s creation of perfectly warming cinnamon cookies last week we have chosen to bake a traditional British favourite…
Flapjack …with a twist.
We’re mixing salty with sweet & switching the common oaty base for a gloriously crunchy granola!!
SALTED POPCORN & SUPERFOOD GRANOLA FLAPJACKS
- 3 cups Lucy Rocks Glowing Granola
- 1 bag Portlebay Popcorn Slightly Salted
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Dash of Sea Salt
- ½ cup yacon syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 over ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees & line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl gently (Lucy’s Granola, Portlebay’s Popcorn, 1 tbsp ginger, sea salt)
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave (heat for 20s, stir, heat for 20s, stir and so on until fully liquidized)
- Mash up the bananas using a fork in a separate bowl until all lumps are removed (if preferred a blender could also be used here)
- Pour the coconut oil & yacon syrup onto the dry ingredients and mix well
- Mix in the banana – at this point the mixture should start to hold together relatively well
- Pour all mixture into a lined baking tray and press down
- Bake at 160 degrees for 12 minutes – or until firm
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin
Voila! It's definitely not your traditional flapjack BUT it does have a number of added benefits
- The sugar content is much lower than your usual treat
- The saturated fats content is also much lower
- There is an abundance of nutrients in there
- An extra tantilising crunch
5. There's a whole host of puffed popcorn goodness nestled in there making a texture sensation ✔️✔️✔️